Hello All,

I'm a newbie so I beg your patience ....

My wife and I are living in Italy for a few years, and have made a
goal to go to Carnevale in Venice next February.

I have undertaken the grand challenge of making costumes for this
event.  Even with my meager sewing skills/experience (a few Halloween
costumes).

I've been searching the web for examples and patterns to work from for
her gown.  But, most of what turns up seems to be French fashion.
Maybe it's true that the French fashion dominated Europe in the 18th
century, esp. the late 18th century, which is the era I'm looking at.
But, is there anything particularly "Italian" or even "Venetian" with
respect dress?

In particular, so far most of what I've found is the "Robe a la
Francese" or sack dress.  I really like the sleeves, with the lace
trim, and the front, with the pointed stomacher and the layered skirts
sweeping open in the front.  But, I really don't like the "sack" part
in the back.  I've looked at patterns for a Robe a la Inglese, and
Polonese, but, really don't like it as much in general.  In
particular, I find the skirt isn't as nice.

I am honestly not totally committed to historical accuracy, but, I'd
like to not embarrass myself, either. I want something that looks good
and withing some realm of reality.  In particular, I'm a little
dubious about having a separate stomacher, rather than something more
one-piece.   I'd even stoop to a back zipper if I had to  (I hear your
gasps of horror and ask for your patience, again).  Part of the reason
is that we are also avid dancers, and look forward to perhaps even a
little waltzing at Carnevale.  We'd like something which is also
movable.  (Although I also know that we're probably talking more
Minuets, and the clothing and dance of the era went hand in hand -
that is, not a lot of raising your hands high above your head wearing
a frock coat, and that wasn't required in Minuets.  But, I
digress....).

So, anybody have suggestions on good ideas for this?   Patterns, or
differences between Venetian and general 18th century European (i.e.
French) fasion?  Books?  Even better - web resources?

I'm also hoping to make a frock coat for myself.  At the moment, I'm
working on a set of stays for my wife by J.P. Ryan and Costume
Classroom.  We'll see how far I get in this whole venture.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks for humoring a newbie.

Best Regards,
Mike