On Aug 11, 2009, at 4:05 PM, Michael Hamilton wrote:

My wife and I are living in Italy for a few years, and have made a goal to go to Carnevale in Venice next February.

     What a wonderful opportunity!

I've been searching the web for examples and patterns to work from for her gown. But, most of what turns up seems to be French fashion. Maybe it's true that the French fashion dominated Europe in the 18th century, esp. the late 18th century, which is the era I'm looking at. But, is there anything particularly "Italian" or even "Venetian" with respect dress?

"Venetian" images tend to be of Carnavale, usually with masks and an over-the-top sort of look. They also look a bit fuller to my eye, but that may be the fancy dress / costume aspect of them.

In particular, so far most of what I've found is the "Robe a la Francese" or sack dress. I really like the sleeves, with the lace trim, and the front, with the pointed stomacher and the layered skirts sweeping open in the front. But, I really don't like the "sack" part in the back. I've looked at patterns for a Robe a la Inglese, and Polonese, but, really don't like it as much in general. In particular, I find the skirt isn't as nice.

You said late century; how late? The popularity of these styles changed through the decades.

I am honestly not totally committed to historical accuracy, but, I'd like to not embarrass myself, either.

In that case are you really concerned about a specific historic era? You could pick the style of gown you like and embellish it. Besides masks, they seemed to use fans and hats to conceal identity.

In particular, I'm a little dubious about having a separate stomacher, rather than something more one-piece.

Stomachers are another aspect of fashion that were in use for some years but not the entire century. The benefit of a separate stomacher, however, is that the fit of the gown can be adjusted. Also you can make more than one and change the look of the ensemble.

I'd even stoop to a back zipper if I had to (I hear your gasps of horror and ask for your patience, again).

Why in the back? Gowns were front-fastening for the most part, so why not do that? Do you have to get in and out of the gown quickly? You already said you are making stays. Stays are adjustable so the gown needs some flexibility in the fit, too. Even if you used hooks & eyes instead of straight pins, you might find they need to be moved from year to year.

     -Carol