The original "sinew" was from the deer. Modern day is wax dipped cotton.
North eastern and western are said to have used cedar. It was stripped,
dried, pounded and then shredded, then woven. Cherokee used mulberry but
this may be after 1600s as I don't believe that mulberry is indigenous to
the Americas.
Birch bark was used in the north east as well.

A native bark skirt of Baja
http://tinyurl.com/yach7xh