Hi Laurie,

I'm looking at making do with Butterick 3640, view A. I do realize that this is one of the Big 4 companies' silly attempts at historical accuracy, and therefore, not period correct. Some of it I can live with, and some I can fix. I'm trying to decide what really needs fixing.

Actually, some of the patterns are being made by better designers and more period correct. That one looks like it's meant to go over stays, which is a great start. Fabric and trimming choice is what will really make a difference in the look of the gown.

> If the Butterick were worn over period skirt supports, how far would it still be from anything that actually existed in period? Would the changes to make it more period be reasonable or not worth the effort? I've been browsing through paintings of the period, but have not found anything that resembles the Butterick.

Depends on the decade and the supports you are considering. The photos look good to me. There are two styles, the casual jacket and the gown that can be more formal. A long gown, plain, can also be middle or lower class.

Also, as pictured on the pattern envelope, is the high contrast of the yellow ground of the upper dress/caracao to the blue petticoat correct for period? My fabric has a deep red ground and I'm trying to decide if the skirt/petticoat should be something in the same shade of red, maybe solid, or if I should go for a contrast.

The blue looks a bit loud. A gown with a matching (same fabric) petticoat is more formal. Not matching (contrast or coordinating) is an undress look. The better fabric would be the upper garment — print vs. solid, for example.

What year in the 18thC are you aiming for? That would help determine how you can use the pattern. You said late, and in the 90s fashion changed quite a bit, heading toward the Federal/Regency/ Directorie lines.

     -Carol