--- On Sat, 10/10/09, penhal...@juno.com <penhal...@juno.com> wrote:
The term 'chaungeable' typically means that the
threads in the weft are one color and the warp a different color so
that the color shifts depending on how you look at it. At least I am
assuming that 'chaungeable' is a period spelling of 'changeable' and
that's what 'changeable' means.

REPLY
Thank you for that clarification, Karen. The Victorian printing of the early
Tudor Exchequer Pipe Roll entries does retain the original spellings - so
"chaungeable" IS the Pipe Roll entry spelling, and not my modern "typo".

It was certainly expensive - the "chaungeable sarcenet" cost is noted as being
5 shillings and 4 pence per yard, and the Wardrobe bought 6 yards as linings
for Baker's  items of clothing. This is at a time when a time-served
craftsman's daily wage would have been 6 silver pennies a day.

FYI, 25 yards of "fyne blak camlet" for the long gown cost 38s.4d. - for those
of you unfamiliar with English "Pounds, shillings, & pence - or £/s/d", that's
454 silver pennies [silver at 92.6% fine,too].
Confirming my theory about the relative importance of Baker as a Yeoman Servant
within the King's Affinity, the item directly follows a similar item for a long
gown the King, but for "fyne blak velvet".

TYVM for your helpful comment.

Julian