Those of you who have read my earlier notes mentioning the Exchequer Pipe
Rolls, may be interested to know that - in the accounts to be paid for King
Henry VII's new Clothing - ordered directly after winning the Battle of
Bosworth [22nd August, 1485]
"agsythen the kinges commyng to towne", and delivered to [his Servant or
Tailor] John Englyssch
are the following items -

Item, xiij. yerdes of fyne blak chamlet, for a cloke for the king, price the
yerde -  v.s, iij d. - Lxi.s, iiij.d.
and
Item, - i yerd di. velvet, blak,for the lynyng of the cape of the cloke, -
price the yerd, - xvi.s

This not only tells us of the period costs of the fabrics, it also tells us
that to make a long cloak for King Henry, with a cape, the Tailor required 13
yards of black camlet, and a yard of black
 velvet.

And, with reference back to the recent query concerning "cloth of gold" -
within the same list of fabrics delieverd to John English to supply Henry
Tudor's immediate wardrobe needs  within 14 days of Bosworth, we have the entry
-

"fyne cloth of gold, purpille, riche",  - at a cost of £6, 2s the yard.

Using the conversion from the well-regarded website  "Purchasing Power of
British Pounds from 1264 to Present" on economic history, and inflation between
1485 and 2008, we see that
"In 2008, £6 0s 4d from 1485 is worth £29,658.23 using average earnings".

So the more-than £830GB per yard from Watts of London, quoted in another h-cost
message today, shows the relative cost of cloth-of-gold has gone down.

Cordially,
 Julian Wilson,
 in "old" Jersey