I agree with Jen/pixel/Margaret. In the 1980s, I purchased jeans that hadn't
been washed after dyeing and they smelled terrible. The indigo smell is very
strong and bitter. It took about three washings to get all the loose indigo
out of the denim and several more washings and line dryings to get the smell
out. I hung them on the line inside out for a couple of days each time.

Fresh air or any of the other suggestions should work - eventually if not
immediately.

LynnD