On Jan 1, 2010, at 3:59 PM, Lavolta Press wrote:

On 1/1/2010 12:39 PM, Marjorie Wilser wrote:

Then there's the Pantone system for printing. Trouble is, they change
the colors according to popularity, and the swatch books are expensive.

Pantone doesn't change the colors as far as I know, or at least not unless it's over a long time frame. The colors are only numbered, no names. Pantone is not a guide to historical color names, or any other kind of color names. The whole point is that you and the printer each have a Pantone book or fan. You say you want color #X on the cover, and that's what you get. You don't have to specify the edition of the Pantone book or fan.

     Thanks, Fran, for this interesting resource!

Fran is correct regarding Pantone, however the books are expensive and recommended to be replaced every year. It was developed specifically for the printing industry — there are some basic ink colors that are mixed in various combinations to get the colors in the book. There have been colors added, and particularly when a company uses a new color and wants it consistent for their corporate identity. Because, of course, they can't use one of the colors that Pantone already has in the book. :-)

The RGB colors listed on the page are helpful, but will depend on the calibration of the computer screen. I noticed the grays had a reddish hue on my monitor, so I adjusted it and the shades of purple make more sense now.

Besides the historic color names, how is this useful to h- costume? Say someone has a fabric for sale, and even with an image online I'm not sure if it will match/coordinate with something I have, or certain shades of puce make me look ill. An understood color system means they can give me a number and I can see the exact shade.

The downside of a printing ink system is that fabric dyes are different. One example of this is Spoonflower — spoonflower.com, they print custom fabric from your designs. A friend has seen color shifts between what she wanted and what she got, so it is very much worth getting a fabric sample before ordering yardage!

Printers can be calibrated too. If I'm looking at those swatches and decide to print it out, it may different than when you print it. Not to mention my monitor is showing me colors of light, and paper or fabric shows me colors of inks or dyes, the additive vs subtractive color. Two colors can look different on my monitor and then print out looking the same.

As far as the accuracy of the colors, who knows what they were looking at for the earlier historic shades. Garment colors can fade. How exact of a shade do you need? Just look at how many shades of teal they have:
http://www.anthus.com/Colors/Colors_T.html
or terra cotta.

     -Carol