On Jan 1, 2010, at 9:32 PM, Lavolta Press wrote:

For one thing, it's Pantone who recommends that the swatches be replaced every year. I'm only on my third Pantone fan, and I've been working with them for 15 years. When I've replaced them I've compared the old and new swatches. They don't fade to speak of unless you leave the swatches open on your desk when you are not using them, and obviously, the solution is keep them in a closed drawer. It may not matter to you if your employer is paying for them. And as far as production costs go, using a fan for several years instead of one doesn't save much money. Still, it can be done.

It's a matter of professional tools vs the need for them, and how precise does a costumer want to be with color. Design studios and printers may well replace their pantone books every year. These days many projects do colors with a CMYK build (instead of custom mixed ink), and the CMYK can vary on press. When dealing with corporate identity colors, it's an expensive mistake to have to reprint. Other projects won't be as persnickety, so a slight color shift due to aging or fading in the swatchbook won't have an impact.

Do you know what the fabric printing and dyeing industry uses for swatch books? Do they use Pantone or something else?

I don't know about professional fabric printing. The on-demand printing (such as Spoonflower) seem to be working it out with the efforts of users. This blog http://blog.mammamadedesigns.com/archive/2008/08/13/spoonflower- fabric-development-series-5-color-calibration-part-c.aspx has a color chart, shown as RGB (at the bottom of the page) and as printed fabric (at the top). Even taking into consideration the differences in photos, you can see some colors are different.

Here is a more direct example of some color shifts:
http://blog.mammamadedesigns.com/archive/2008/07/18/spoonflower- fabric-development-series-5-color-calibration-part-b.aspx
See how the green stems turned out the same color as the green field.

     This is the chart from Spoonflower:
http://blog.spoonflower.com/files/spoonflower_color_chart.tif
Where they removed a chunk of colors that tend to shift. And while they removed reds, I was seeing changes in blues and greens in the Mamamade example.

     The Mamamade blog goes through a lot of color information.

Something I can imagine happening — say we have a vintage garment that's a print fabric that we want to repro. So we scan the fabric and then correct for any fading or yellowing. That's not enough, the colors also need to be redone to allow for the shift. Also subtle differences in color may not come out, such as in the calibration example. What if the fabric I want is a multitone madder print — some tones will come out the same.

The PMS book or other color match system is not going to help here. The costumer needs to get color swatches of fabric printed on the actual intended fabric, on the machine that will be used. Luckily it's available.

Also once calibrated, a user could also calibrate her monitor to more closely match what she will get from Spoonflower. It can be set up as a profile so I could toggle between that and a traditional color profile, to change back & forth depending on the project.

     -Carol