Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies. Hope, thank you for
the images (your post below), and the difference between ball and
opera gowns. FWIW, I'm going for a basic day gown that might I might
accessorize in future for evening, if possible.

Based on your responses. I think I'm going to leave off the train - I
am a klutz walking in long skirts at the best of times, and it might
be a modern conceit, but I have no interest in walking around holding
up my train or bunching it under my arms :P Perhaps I'll create an
open robe or similar to dress it up, and IT can have the train!

Allison T.