>From what I can see and in my laymans observation Steampunks appears to be
more in the COSPLAY space... costumes based on animation..

Goth evolved more as a sub-culture with no direction from animation, maybe
vampire movies had an influence (My daughter was a goth when she was
younger). Victorian and Edwardian fashion appears to have inspired some
costumes in goth from what I have seen but I guess as long as its black, has
velvet and a long(ish) train with some lace it might fit the bill ;)

Sidney