> There is a magic in creating something that the SCA has lost a bit of since
> I joined in 1979.

Creating things is as close as I can get to magic without a working
wand.  I think that's why Laurels, and their equivalents in other
groups, make things.  Hey - some people have kids for that reason.

>Not that I let that stop me.  It's just another venue to
> wear beautiful clothing when you have an Hour Glass or Perfect Pear shape
> figure.

Those shapes are, of course, why corsetry was invented.  I can have
some form of a perfect figure, just a little bigger than the one in
the fashion plate...

> Also, no one can tell you "that isn't period" which draws a lot of would be
> SCA who have been frightened by people who go on and on about how some
> un-named "Laurel"  came up to them at their first event and sneered at them
> (never heard it in 30 years, or I'd take the Laurel out back of the
> Porta-Potties and hold their head to the vent for a while).

It's not period-correct to tell someone "That's not period".  So my
fashion-conscious daughter has plenty of ways of telling me what I
wear is out of date ("Oh, Mom, that's so eighties", etc.), but she
doesn't say it in terms of my not being "period".  People who live in
a given time period don't think of their time period like that.  They
don't think very far outside their time-period box, nor see their time
period as one point on a centuries-long continuum; only historical
costume geeks do.

--
Carolyn Kayta Barrows