I got a dress from a really nice store like Macys, and while I loved the
fabric and the drape, I just didn't have the tracks of land to make it fit
properly. So rather than go under the knife, I shortened the dress straps
and turned it into an Empire waist gown. It's lovely.

I'm also in the habit of taking in dresses or jackets or sweaters and adding
my own buttons. For a really cool pea coat which had front seam pockets that
bagged unattractively, ruining the lines, I sewed the pockets closed and
changed the buttons. It came out rather well.

Marjorie

Marjorie Gilbert
author of THE RETURN,
a novel set in Georgian England