Kimiko,

Think the "Opening" of Japan to trade- they developed a huge vogue for European fashion, and it reciprocated into a vogue for Japanese silks/ brocades in European vogue.

== Marjorie Wilser (sorry, no dates to hand as I have to dash off tomorrow)

=:=:=:Three Toad Press:=:=:=

"Learn to laugh at yourself and you will never lack for amusement." --MW

http://3toad.blogspot.com/