I just saw the exhibit, Birth of Impressionism: Masterpieces from the Musee
d'Orsay at the De Young Museum, S.F. Saturday, and the piece we all know as
Whistler's Mother (painted 1871) has a drapery at the left of the painting.
I mentioned to my husband that I had never realized that the drape had a
Japanese pattern and he said that he had read that it was actually a kimono
Whistler used. (American painter in England at the time of painting.)
LynnD