Since this is an out of print pattern, for those who want to see what is
being talked about here is a pic.

http://tinyurl.com/29gmx2p

Personally I would go with the undergarment pattern that goes with this
gown. Not so much that it would be period in look but because the gown will
look more like the picture in form which makes it look lovely. (simplicity
2890)
http://www.simplicity.com/p-1802-costumes.aspx

Perhaps this might explain things more.
http://tinyurl.com/2524ktu

Note the pic. of the bodice in red, it doesn't have the corset. It's not
smooth. If you can achieve a smooth surface with boning and cups in the
bodice then go for it.

De