Or a loaf shaped pound cake?

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Hope Greenberg
Sent: Saturday, July 03, 2010 8:16 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] OT to Victorian re-enactors

Cake is one of those words that has been used in several ways across
time. Things that we would call breads, cookies, biscuits, scones, and
buns have all been called cake. However, since you do have to keep the
audience in mind and have something that makes sense to them, I'd go
with something that looks like cake to most modern people, but give it a
period twist by making it a more traditional 19th cent. British tea
cake, say an 8 inch round cake that looks plain and rather hefty. So, if
you look for recipes like Dundee Cake or Seed cake, you should find some
good examples.

Sounds like fun!

- Hope