On Thursday 19 August 2010 11:20:24 pm otsisto wrote:
> Could you direct me to an online pic of this? I have come across through
> browsing some 1400s Italian paintings with sheer material layer over fabric
> of the over gown. Most were by the same artist but one w/embroidery by
> another artist from an earlier period.

> [snip]

Problem is that the one in question is *not* depicted that way.  I should be
able to find this one on line, let's see now.

There's a ton of places to find it but in most the image cannot be zoomed very
large.

This one isn't too bad, and it can be zoomed up a bit:

http://www.thebeckoning.com/art/limbourg/limbourg-apr.jpg

This isn't zoomable but is a bit better:

http://0.tqn.com/d/historymedren/1/0/-/H/2/april.jpg

Ah, the Brittanica on line has come through for me with an image that can be
made both large and zoomable--and you can zoom a particular area.  I've used
Tinyurl on this link because the URL is very large:

http://tinyurl.com/28zmhhz

The image is the miniature for "April" and the woman of whose costume I spoke
is the fifth person in from the left-hand edge of the picture.  She is wearing
a light blue houppelande with a dark blue pattern and a wide, white (perhaps
fur?) hem, a gold under dress, and a large black fur hat.  The beads in
question are red and draped over her right shoulder; they finish with a gold-
colored tassel low on her left side.

--

Cathy Raymond <ca...@thyrsus.com>

"No one can make as disastrous a bad choice as a smart person, because they
sell it to themselves really well."--Tobias Buckell