> Then I think one of the most useful things a museum could do would
> be lots of photos and get some darned closeups.  The pictures I
> looked at on the from the link you posted for the Smithsonian didn't
> have anything that wasn't full length - no details at all.  OTOH,
> some pictures I've seen from the V&A get so close I could chart the
> knit or beaded designs.  I really appreciate that kind of
> information online since it's unlikely I'll ever get to go to the
> museum.

I work for a museum. We have a grand total of 4 staff. We all wear so many hats
we can't keep track of them all. Personally, I'm responsible for the
collection, the exhibitions, all museum security, the desktop publishing,
supervising student fellows and work-studies, managing the climate control
system, the museum shop, and more.
I'd LOVE to have that level of detail for everything in the collection even for
our own purposes let alone for interested visitors, but it's neither a time nor
financial possibility at the moment...

Astrida

Astrida Schaeffer, Exhibitions and Collections Manager
Museum of Art, University of New Hampshire
Paul Creative Arts Center
30 Academic Way
Durham, NH 03824-3538
603-862-0310