I agree--I use what I call modern traditional tailoring when making period
men's garments.  I use hair canvas interfacing and pad stitching (I learned
 the basics in a women's tailoring class in the early 1970s, and have seen
learned some specifics of men's tailoring techniques.)  Early 19th century
men's coats with M-notch lapels really need to be constructed by sewing the
 upper collar and undercollar together by hand, wrong sides together, with
the  seam allowances turned under.  (A wool felt undercollar works even
better,  but 100% wool felt is also getting hard to find.)  Sewing right sides
together and turning just doesn't work well.

Couldn't believe how hard it is getting to find hair canvas--Hancock used
to carry it and I was shocked when I went to buy some several years ago and
they  didn't have it.

Have to say, though, that I have used fusible hair canvas, too--I love it
for interfacing vent openings, as I don't have to hand stitch those long
seams.  But I haven't had to buy any of it lately, either, so I don't know
how easy it is to find anymore.

Also a must for tailoring are a good steam iron and pressing tools--a point
 presser and ham, at a minimum.

Ann Wass

In a message dated 12/17/2010 7:16:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,