On Feb 1, 2011, at 7:19 PM, Land of Oz wrote:

> The name of the dye and the color of the dye are one and the same. Indigo =
> blue.  There were no other colors produced that were called indigo.  There
> was over dyeing - green could be achieved by putting something already dyed
> yellow into an indigo vat; dyeing with cochineal before or after indigo for
> purple, etc.

I am sitting here idly wondering:

(1) Indigo does seem to be a "true" blue (i.e. not greenish or purplish). So
how did the word "indigo" come to be applied to the shade between blue and
violet in the rainbow? (At least the way I learned it: red, orange, yellow,
green, blue, indigo, violet)

(2) What dye was used for the famous "bluestockings"? IIRC these began as
actual literal blue worsted stockings (see basbleu.com) and were regarded as
casual wear.

O    Chris Laning <clan...@igc.org> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com