On 2/14/2011 6:22 PM, Margo Anderson wrote:
Dated it may be, but the Illustrated Hassle Free Make Your Own Clothes book set quite a few of us on the path of costuming, sewing and patternmaking. I for one was delighted to be freed from the tyranny of the pattern companies, whose size range, at that time, stopped at 14. Using their method of tracing existing garments helped me make some simple yet pretty dresses, tops,and pants, and that gave me the confidence and interest to learn more.

It's very much the counterpart of a number of new books I'm seeing, that are geared at teens and twenty-somethings who are also beginning sewers. These new books also have the themes of, draft your own patterns, create your individual style, recycle; and the same tone of, it's easy, jump right in. The styles are different and so is the slang, but that will be true of these new books in just a few years.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com