On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com>wrote:

> * In every course I was in, the students wanted to make garments for
> themselves, regardless of their goals for the course. If they were going to
> put all that time and money into making something they loved, they wanted to
> wear it.

There is some sense in doing this in the RTW learning process. Most fashion
degree programs culminate in the creation of a line that is then shown as a
final project. I know of at least one recent graduate (she's active on the
forums I mentioned), who decided that since she was putting all this work
into creating her line, she wanted to do it correctly so that it could be
manufactured and earn back all the money she invested in the project to
graduate. So a program geared with this in mind would be extremely
beneficial but only if they themselves were the target market for their
line.

> * We were always taught custom fitting ... it's not how the ready-to-wear
> industry works. There's no way anyone could have been induced to buy an
> industry dress form for a standard size and make all the clothes for it
> (considering none of the students were exactly an industry standard size,
> which of course was the point of the fitting lessons).

This is a slight misconception and I'll avoid going into sizing issues. But
while there are industrial sized dress forms, the industry standard size is
a medium. The actual measurements of your line's medium is based on your
target market and your fit model. A fit model is the actual model you will
fit everything to - this is where the training on how to custom fit models
comes in handy.

Where the industry process differs from the home-sewing mindset is that
after the sample (muslin in home-sewing world) is fit to the fit model, the
pattern is then corrected to the new changes. The home-sewer takes the fit
sample and finishes it off because the alterations were done on the almost
finished garment.

Lastly, that is extremely unforunate regarding your male classmate but I
completely sympathize with him. As a male myself, most of the drafting books
and courses out there are geared towards women's clothing - not men.
Tailoring courses are for the male clothing yet unless you apprentice under
a tailor, very few courses come close to covering the basics of drafting
men's patterns.

Michael Deibert
OAS AAS LLS