Replying on my phone so I apologize for any typos I miss! And I apologize if I
cone across as arguing, want to make sure we're on the same page in
understanding even if it means I misunderstood something along the process of
learning.

No, the standard industry dress form does not work - unless you're one of the
small group of people with the "ideal" measurement. In terms of learning
though, the standard size allows teachers to easily see if something is wrong
and needs corrected. It's ideal for learning but not for the real world.

Unless I have misunderstood the concept (entirely possible btw!), your fit
model should not be the industry standard in any measurements. When you develop
a RTW line, the first major hurdle is determining the market. Is it young
teenage girls who cannot afford to buy their clothes themselves? Or is it the
40-65 middle aged women who strive for a professional image? It is impossible
to make clothing for the "average" customer. Nor is it possible to satisfy
everyone in terms of sizing.

Once the market is established and concise enough to be realistic, you create
your sizes from the measurements and studies of your market. The size medium
(or it's equivalent numerical size) is what sales reps and sample makers are
used to working with. Your fit model then is sized according to the
measurements of your line's size medium.

I agree that it is frustrating to "waste one's time on something that cannot be
worn or sold" but how else can they learn the process? The architect doesn't
build a building while they're earning their degree... The wok with models
until they learn and master the skills needed. I also am under the impression
that many programs out there aren't suited for what the industry has in terms
of job openings. There are plenty of amazing designers who've graduated but
most don't want to do the manufacturing work themselves (or worse, they don't
know how even after earning their degree!).

I also am not a fan of Project Runway. I'm glad it seems to be leading kids to
sew their own clothes that will fit them ... But it's equally pushing out
designers who think it's easy to produce a line because that's how Project
Runway does it. Also not a fan of the reality show aspect - the real industry
is reality enough without adding more competition and challenges!

But imagine if the kids watching the show, those who want to make clothes not
to fit themselves but to fit others (because RTW is so crappy), and then are
given the right skills to follow thru and produce their line - they will not
only be successful, but will force those manufacturers who don't care about
size to fix their doing issues and thereby bring the industry back to where it
should be. That would be the ideal program of study.

Michael Deibert
OAS AAS LLS
Sent from my iPhone