To add my two cents, a tripod is extremely helpful but also remember that many
museums, while they allow non-flash photography, do not allow the use of
tripods. If you have access to actually look at the garments in research areas,
not sure what is allowed or not but I've yet to tackle that yet.

While my photography knowledge is severely lacking, I would suggest selecting a
model thy gives you the beat quality photos without a tripod. That way you'll
get good photos in places you cannot use a tripod, but always have the tripod
for extra help.

Michael Deibert
OAS AAS LLS
Sent from my iPhone