The  simple gown you envision is very "Jane Eyre" and exists. Complicated
sleeves with pleating and poufs of course exist too, and sleeves were more
complicated early in the decade. The bell shaped sleeve is the start of the
1850's look so they are near the end of the decade. It's been my experience
that plain fabrics, and things like shot taffeta, will usually have some self
fabric thing going on, like pleatings, and ruchings on the sleeves, bodice and
sometimes the skirt. Fabrics with a pattern, print or stripe are often more
plain, letting the patterns do the decorating.... like the bodice cut on the
bias with stripes meeting down CF in a chevron. The 2 piece tight sleeves will
often have the stripe running on the straight of grain at the top, but as the
sleeve pattern curves, the stripes end up on the bias on the lower part of the
sleeve.(a look I like). One thing that catches the period, and would do it in a
simple gown, is the deep point CF and long sleeves with a wide!
  horizontal decolletage, even in day wear.(I've seen one gown with longish
mancherons, or a short sleeve from under the long tight sleeve emerged.It
turned out the long sleeve buttoned in several places to a small short sleeve
made of lining hidden under the mancheron. The lower sleeve could be removed,
leaving the "short sleeve" mancheron. This made the gown an evening gown.)
Another great detail is how the skirt is attached. Usually gathered or tightly
pleated all the way 'round the waist....even down and around the point.