IIRC,  1879-80 is sort of between bustle periods.  What would a young English
lady living on the coast of Cornwall be wearing?  I will be costuming "Pirates
of Penzance" in January and am looking for some ideas of where to look. Fashion
plates in Godey's and Harper's hardly seem the type of garment that young
ladies would be wearing on the beach. Googling previous "Pirates" productions
produces a wide range.  Of course I know that it is an operetta with a rather
silly premise and costume designers can take great liberties, but I would love
to have some idea of what might actually have been worn. Any pointers in the
right direction will be greatly appreciated. I am more familiar with 18th
cent.-early 19th c. and then very late 19th c. (Fran, which of your books
covers this?)

Kate