On 7/4/2011 9:58 AM, Kathryn Pinner wrote:
IIRC,  1879-80 is sort of between bustle periods.  What would a young English lady
living on the coast of Cornwall be wearing?<snip>

There was specific Victorian wear for the "seaside" (in addition to bathing costumes per se). See Avril Landsdell's Seaside Fashions 1860-1939, and Chapter 7 of Christina Walkley's The Way to Wear 'Em. Seaside fashions are also discussed and pictured in fashion magazines, especially those focusing on summer clothing.

>I am more familiar with 18th cent.-early 19th c. and then very late 19th c. (Fran, which of your books covers this?)

My book that covers 1877-1882 fashion is Fashions of the Gilded Age (two volumes).

Thanks for your interest,

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com