Thanks so much to everyone who responded!  I never cease to be amazed
by the way colours show on computers, depending on how the image has
been manipulated, what the background in the shot looks like, etc.

The links are all wonderful; I think I'll be spending a lot of time on
those sites.  :)  And the link to that out-of-print Hallowe'en cloak
pattern?  Golden!  It looks exactly like the Professor's spiky
shoulder treatments (I've seen that on some of her all-black costumes
as well) so we shall see if I'm able to translate the concept from
cloak shoulder to sleeve cap.  :)  Should be fun!

All the assistance, shared thoughts and links, and help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,
Meli