As some one who does a great deal of beadwork, several things come to
mind.  First, use the correct thread, not regular sewing thread.  Beading
thread comes in different thicknesses.  Second, if there is an area of
the fabric to which you are going to multiple stones, some sort of
interfacing is advisable under the fabric.  When I do large beaded areas,
I use fairly heavy interfacing.  A regular beading needle should work
fine; there is also a very long, narrow awl-like tool with that is a
diamond file for enlarging holes in beads and stones that works pretty
well.

My cleaning experiences have not been good, so I never plan on having to
dry-clean those garments.  I spot-clean if necessary.

Instead of trying to sew them directly on to hte dress, why not make a
really over-the-top beaded collar with them?

Yours in cosutming,Lisa A