I never use it to mark through the
tissue. I pin, raise the tissue a bit
at a time by folding back, and then
mark. Darts and stuff I pin-mark
only.

I have to admit, I often don't mark at all, or if I do I just make snips in the seam allowance to indicate dots, etc.

However, yesterday I made a practice piece. It's a glove pattern - only 1/8" seam allowance and lots of fiddly bits, large dots, small dots, numbers and letters. Since it's just a practice glove, I should have just used a sharpie marker! I was a little frustrated in the end, and I still think I put the finger gussets in wrong.

Now that I've made one, I think I will toss the written instructions out and put them together as it makes sense to me, not the pattern designer. :)

Denise
Iowa