Anahita wrote:
>I have not yet found the "perfect" tool for marking on white and other very
>light fabric. I sometimes use soft school kid's chalk in a somewhat darker
>color (i tend to use a medium blue), but i worry about it staining the fabric.
>I also sometimes use a very soft graphite pencil when i am certain the lines
>will be hidden by the stitching.

Once when I was bored I did a marker test. I searched through my pen stash and
then went out and bought one each of about 6 or 8 different brands of
non-permanent fine-line felt-tip pens. In all I think I had about a dozen types.

I took a piece of scrap muslin and marked it off into squares with a permanent
marker. I labeled each square permanently with the name of one of the
non-permanent markers, and then used that non-permanent marker to make X's,
scribbles and so forth inside the labeled marked square. Then I tossed the
whole thing in the wash.

Based on this test, I would advise not even bothering with red and black --
they seem to be the hardest colors to get rid of. The greens and blues did much
better.

I did find one color and brand of pen that has served me very well over the
years -- fine lines, easy to use, lasts for at least 10 years (both in the pen
and on the fabric) and 100% comes out with one washing. It was a particular
type of green Pilot Fineliner (not the permanent kind) and of course, since
then they have discontinued that particular type. I bought about a dozen when I
first discovered how good they were and I'm on about my last two or three. When
those run out I'll have to do another test. ;)

Also, for white marking on dark fabric, I found that Schwann Stabilo
“Aquarellable” pencils, white only (color #8052) were the best of the lot. They
do still need frequent sharpening, so they're better for sewing (where 1/32 of
an inch matters less) than for embroidery.

Most of the "wash-out" markers I've tested did well, especially ones sold for
use in kindergartens. Likewise "wash-out" tempera paint for schools seems to be
pretty good, though I haven't tried letting it sit for long periods. The
pigments are too coarse to use in a pen, though.

I wrote an article if anyone wants more details:
http://wkneedle.bayrose.org/Articles/prick_pounce.html