The perception that Victorian colored corsets and underclothing are risque is a modern perception promoted by books and websites that also promote the idea that corsets and underclothing are inherently erotic. I'm not disputing that underclothing might have been used for erotic purposes by some Victorians, but the perception that that was its main purpose.

One very important aspect of woolen and silk underclothes, and of corsets, is that they are harder to clean than white cottons and linens. That does not mean no one wore them, but it does mean that colors were a practical choice.

My own book Reconstruction Era Fashions, which contains Harper's Bazar patterns of late 1867 through 1868, contains a pattern for a black alpaca underskirt trimmed (a wide bottom border) with striped red and black satin, and a corset of brown drilling. Red flannel was a perennial favorite for warm winter petticoats.

Fran
Lavolta Press
www.lavoltapress.com