1860's underpinnings were white

**********

They are also traditionally red. Especially in wool. Like wool flannel
petticoats or bloomers. But I've seen red bustles and hoopskirts and cage
hoops. Also red silk petticoats. I've never seen a red chemise though
The only black underpinning items I've seen are corsets and petticoats, Usually
silk. Usually very fine.
Of course mourning has all kinds of rules. It depends on how fussy one wants to
get as to how close one follows them. There's usually 1st a period of all
black, then a time where white collars and cuffs and things can be worn with
the black. Then a period where purple is OK.
And then of course there's 1/2 mourning.
None of these require black undies though..