I had a boy in 1969, and sizes were SAID to indicate age. It wasn't particularly true, no more than it has ever been.

At age three, he wore a 3 jean for length, but I had to buy a "slim" and take them in. No butt to hold them up!

I wore what they called a 6x at age 5. No idea what the x meant, but that predated 1968 by a lotta years :)

==Marjorie