On Feb 7, 2012, at 9:32 PM, Franchesca wrote:

It is definitely worth discussing the different corsets made, give an overall difference, then let the students change their minds later if they want to make one or the other.

I agree with Franchesca. If students decide to make different kinds of corsets, it will also be a learning experience for everyone.

It's nice to be able to make something useful for yourself, but isn't the point of a class to learn the techniques? Is this a theater costume class? In that case, if a student does not want a corset can he or she donate it to the department?

If there is a class making something I don't want, I would not take the class. If, on the other hand, the class is required for a major, then it doesn't matter who ends up owning the corset. I think it would be worth keeping as a portfolio piece.

I also had thoughts similar to Sharon's, making a corset for someone else for sale. In addition, they'll learn how to work with a client.

Regarding fabric, I would also suggest that the students pitch in for corset coutil for the base layers of the corsets, and individually provide the fabric they want for the outer layer. Coutil isn't always available at the local fabric store.

-Carol