------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 08:11:19 -0700
From: Marjorie Wilser <the3t...@gmail.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Subject: [h-cost] Thread- reluctant switcher needs suggestions
delsp=yes

My favorite thread has been discontinued without so much as a peep. I
am preternaturally p.o'd at the venerable Coats & Clark, but now I
need to switch threads.

My old favorite was the sometimes deingrated Coats & Clark cotton-
wrapped polyester. It had the shine of cotton and the strength of
polyester. Coats is now producing it under the same name but it's all
polyester.

Ideas? I know some folks out there are thread snobs, but I just want
something that's (a) available!! and (b) will hold up. A little (c)
affordability and (d) good color range wouldn't hurt either. A basic,
workhorse thread!!

Second question: how do you match thread to fabric if you can't
actually *compare* them in a store?

==Marjorie Wilser

I use Guterman, but that is mostly because it is the only 'brand' name
thread that seems to be readily available around here. I use either the 100%
cotton or the 100% silk, but then I am mostly doing hand sewing not machine
sewing these days.
As for the second question, take a little snip of fabric with you when you
go to buy the thread.

Claire

End of h-costume Digest, Vol 11, Issue 103