From: Elizabeth W <elizabeth.r.walp...@gmail.com>
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Sent: Wed, May 23, 2012 8:10 am
Subject: Re: [h-cost] %$#&* irons!

'As to sad irons, how  you gonna heat the coal? You have to be really
areful not to get black all over your clothes (this from someone who
ctually used them as a youth), and you gotta keep more than one heating to
ave a replacement as the one you are using cools down. No, this is one
ase where I think modern technology, despite our frustrations, is
efinitely preferable.'
for the ones that simply heat on the fire (rather than have a box in the
iddle to hold hot coals) a modern gas stove has an advantage there in
roducing much less soot. ;)
lizabeth
ot really suggesting that sad irons are the way to go (although in some
ituations an iron with a bit of weight in it would be good so I don't have
o put so much arm power into pressing seams etc.)