Tongue stuck firmly in cheek:
It never changes. Some guy (Charles Worth, for example) decides we all need
to wear hoop skirts (for example) and we all follow along. I bet it's been
going on since Mankind first started wearing clothes. And I don't mean only
women who follow fashion slavishly; men are right in there too. We finally
figure it out, Terry figured it out once she got out of high school. It
takes other people decades to realize that the most up to date fashion
isn't always the one for them. I love people!

And what would we costumers do if no one followed fashion? How could we
tell an 1875 bonnet from an 1885 one?

Lynn