I've heard this story before. I can't speak of the origins of Landsknecht (sp?) clothing, which is said to be marked by use of many pieces of contrasting fabric. Others on this list know more about that period and culture, so I'll leave it to them to verify. However, the German warriors did not invent decorative slashing of fabric, which is well attested in both visual and written evidence at least back as far as the 14th century and possibly earlier, in England, France, Flanders, Italy, and elsewhere.

The whole business about "this was before modern washing practices so the fabric didn't fall apart" reflects modern assumptions about fabric behavior. Most fabrics won't fray if cut on the bias, and a fulled wool will stay unfrayed pretty much any way you cut it.

--Robin