Thanks for the responses. I knew the slashings could be done so they
wouldn't fray. I guess the part I was really surprised by was saying that
they slashed the clothing that was too small so it could be worn. I don' t
know if that's just an origin story or what, but the Landsknect clothing
I've seen was beautifully slashed in decorative ways and not in ways to
make it larger.

What say you all? <G>
Julie