There were also a variety of agents that could have been applied to cut edges
that would have acted as glue, preventing fraying.

~Cherylyn

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 11:59 AM, Lynn Downward <lynndownw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

I agree with Kate - it never really made a lot of sense to me too.

It was already mentioned that the slashes on the bias wouldn't ravel as
badly. The fabrics were also woven more tightly when woven by hand than now
by machine, so they were even less inclined to fray. When you use one of
the chisels to slash you get a more even size slash and a sharper edge to
the cuts than by scissors, which also lessens the fraying.
LynnD