      From: Lavolta Press <f...@lavoltapress.com>
 To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
 Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 1:31 PM
 Subject: Re: [h-cost] Stange detail on early 1900's shirtwaists - help?

The ties are quite usual in Edwardian blouses. They are sewn to the back
of the blouse and come around to tie in front. They are often too short
to tie in a bow rather than a knot, although possibly the original
wearer had a smaller waistline than a modern wearer. It's hard to tell
the waist size with a full style of blouse. The purpose of the ties is
to keep the blouse from riding up, and to secure the arrangement of
waist folds the wearer made when putting on the blouse, especially if
the blouse has a front "puff" (it will look longer in front than in back
when not being worn if that is the case).  Blouses of this period could
button in either the front or the back, but whichever has the ties sewn
to it is the back.

Hope this helps.

Fran
Lavolta Press