     From: Sharon Collier <sha...@collierfam.com>
 To: 'Historical Costume' <h-cost...@indra.com>
 Sent: Friday, August 14, 2015 3:30 PM
 Subject: Re: [h-cost] Stange detail on early 1900's shirtwaists - help?

If the blouse was worn on the outside of the skirt, and as Fran said, the ties
came from back to front, perhaps instead of tying (which takes quite a bit of
fabric/length), they were buckled--a simple buckle where you just weave the
ties in and out. Maybe the inside ties were to actually hold the blouse down/in
place, while the outside, shorter ones would be worn with a buckle for "show".
Sharon C.