I understand and agree that the version in the name of the jar has its
benefits. However my use case is different: I use h2 for java
lectures. There, I do not care much about a particular version. Rather
I instruct my students to download the *latest* distribution. This way
I always have to foresightedly update the eclipse project dependencies
of the work samples so I do not have to fiddle with missing jars later
in the course.

I will try maven and see if it fits my needs. Ironically, then I do no
longer depend on the h2 zip-distribution.

-- Frank