Is this what you are suggesting:

   1.

   Using H2 in IMDB mode, create the sub-database (defined above) and
   populate it using queries against the parent database (SQL Server). NOTE:
   While I could use H2 in persistent mode, performance would certainly suffer.
   2.

   Use *BACKUP TO 'subdb.zip'* to create a ZIP backup of the database (does
*BACKUP
   TO* work in IMDB mode?).
   3.

   Send *subdb.zip* to ActiveMQ (via Web Service).

If this is indeed the approach you are suggesting, note that the only
difference between your suggestion and mine from the H2 perspective, is
that I am using *SCRIPT* to serialize the entire sub-database as a string
(no direct disk I/O), while you are using *BACKUP TO* to save the
sub-database as a ZIP.

Considering the small size of the sub-database (less than 100K) is *BACKUP
TO *significantly more efficient than *SCRIPT*? This is an important
question because, while this could certainly be changed, the current
messaging subsystem—built on top of CXF (in JAX-RS mode) and ActiveMQ—does
not support *attachments* (CXF’s terminology), so there’s some incentive to
stay with string-based messaging. String-based messaging is also a bit
easier from a debugging perspective (since I can directly log and inspect
the message).

I am intrigued by your suggestion, and certainly want to do the best thing
architecturally, but I still need to be convinced that the benefits are
substantial.

Thanks so much for your perspective.