Thomas, the problem you are talking about only exists when dealing with date values without time, like "1982-01-01", not for Timestamp values.

We could store timestamps internally as a long value, defined in the same way as that System.currentTimeMillis is defined i.e. milliseconds since 1 Jan 1970 GMT.
Then there are no daylight saving or midnight problems, because by definition
it is unambiguous.

See here for a fuller explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Regards, Noel.

On 2014-05-06 07:57, Thomas Mueller wrote:
Hi,

There are various problems when using java.util.Data / java.sql.Date / Time /
Timestamp and java.util.Calendar, mainly
because of the daylight time saving changes. For example, you can't assume a
certain date (if you don't care about the
time) is "midnight", because in some timezones, for some days, midnight doesn't
exist because it's the daylight time
saving border. It's not a problem in most timezones, but it is in some.

Regards,
Thomas

On Monday, May 5, 2014, Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com