The good old "free as in beer" OSS consumer attitude :-)
But let's not get mad about this. Let me try to answer those questions:

Do you know
> (a) what the most common string representation of such a datatype is

There are two candidates. ISO 8601 compliant or SQL standard compliant. The
latter can be seen here:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/shadow/sql/sql1992.txt

<timestamp literal> ::=
     TIMESTAMP <timestamp string>

<timestamp string> ::=

<date value> ::=

<time value> ::=

<time zone interval> ::=

For improved SQL compatibility, I suggest supporting the latter and
optionally supporting ISO 8601 (through explicit functions)

> (b) how it is returned in a ResultSet, since there is no JDBC datatype for
> it

This, unfortunately, is a complete mess :-) Most people probably bypass the
Timestamp type and use Strings for deserialisation...

> (c) how it is passed into a PreparedStatement

... and for serialisation. However, I don't think that too many people have
thought about these things well enough. Most people just try to avoid this
issue by normalising everything to UTC and deferring timezone calculations
as long as possible, e.g. until displaying a date to the UI. Or they're
lucky enough and their software only runs in a single timezone, when they
can just get away with defaults in 98% of the time.

In any case, I don't think you will be able to expect a quick answer from
your users. This is a tough topic.

Cheers
Lukas