I'll let someone more qualified give you a better answer.

But, yes I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work (The same as if it was on a read only filesystem?)

I find embedded mode has better performance, but it is more profound in lots of smaller queries. If it is larger less frequent queries there isn't as much difference.

You might have to test your specific case if you are trying to squeeze every bit of performance possible.

Not sure if the cache might be better with the server though. Otherwise each process will have it's own cache.