Andreas,

Thank you for sharing your experience. First of all let me stress that I
also believe the HS developers do a great job. It is a great tool that is
invaluable to us. I only wish we could have a bit shorter and more
predictable release cycle, especially in situations where the current
release version contains non-trivial bugs.

Unfortunately using the development branch is not an option for us. Escrow
clauses in some of our license agreements compel us to maintain an up to
date repository of our software binaries and all required libraries and
run-times. Additional clauses prohibit the use of any pre-release versions
or outdated versions of libraries or run-times. Apart from that our
software is a multi-tenant server system that is used in 24/7 production
environments making upgrades tricky.

Our use-case is quite specific. Users create projects on the fly and each
of those is a script + data-repository that is a clone of one of the
project templates. Each template (and each copy thereof) is a
self-containing system that has its own user interfaces and resources
including an embedded H2 database. Since a couple of thousand of such
projects are "active" at the same time the core server application instance
dynamically loads/unloads them on-demand. We use a multi-database/url
connection pool that does something similar with database connections,
resulting in an average of ~50-200 concurrent connections to ~10-50
databases.
Although some of these database are several Gb in size most of them are
quite small. A manual dump/restore is already possible but since it is
in-process the same H2 version is used for the SQL dump and the recreation
of the database. Perhaps if there would be an easy trick to use 1.4.200 for
dumping and then 2.0.201 for recreating we could build this into the
connection pool and do this on demand. It would be great if we could
somehow use both versions simultaneously inside the same process or if
there would be sufficient backward compatibility built-in for doing an
SQL-dump of an older database from inside a newer H2.

On the upside I have managed to steer us clear of Oracle and SQLServer.
Postgres served us well in days long gone by but for our
copy-and-open-unlimited-databases-simultaneously use case there is no
better match than embedded H2. To be fair HSQLDB also works fine but it is
a lot slower than H2 in my experience.

Cheers,

Silvio